What We Do
The Partnership for the Future of Learning protects, strengthens, and advances education equity and meaningful learning—and supports the policies and practices that get us there.
We are a network with a deep commitment to the future of public education
The Partnership for the Future of Learning brings together a diverse network of individuals and organizations with a deep commitment to an equitable, high-quality, public education system. Together, we promote policies to strengthen this system, and call attention to schools that are making learning rigorous, relevant, engaging, and available for every student.
We believe that democracy depends on equal opportunity
Our democracy can’t succeed without a high-quality, equitable, public education system that helps students build the knowledge and skills they need for their future, and provides a level playing field for everyone. Public schools continue to be weakened by the historic racism and inequity that define our current system. If our education system prioritizes some students over others, it leaves a generation of young people without the opportunity to succeed.
We seek to keep public education public and ensure all students have what they need to succeed
The Partnership for the Future of Learning is here to protect the right to quality public education that all students and communities have. We seek to strengthen our public education system for each and every student by amplifying the places where powerful learning is happening now, and advancing the policies and practices that make learning rigorous, relevant, engaging, and available.
Everything we do is based on values of:
- Deeper learning that cultivates academic competence, thinking skills, and commitment to learning and that readies young people for responsible adulthood.
- Student-centered approaches to learning that enable educators and learners to work together through deeper, personalized, experiential learning.
- Resources, conditions, opportunities, and measures of accomplishment that ensure equitable and inclusive education for all of the nation’s diverse young people.
- Schools that reflect and reinforce the centrality of public education to a healthy and vibrant democracy and promote the practice of democratic skills.
- Systems in which knowledgeable professionals work together with parents, local community members, and policymakers with trust, respect, and shared responsibility to create and sustain schools as collaborative learning environments.
Working together, we are:
- Developing tools and strategies to advance our Shared Policy Framework to shift policy by engaging the field both locally and nationally.
- Changing the narrative through shared stories that center the value of public education. Go to the Sharing Stories page to watch and share.
- Identifying shared system principles and capacities needed at local and state levels to design better ways to remodel public education systems.
- Lifting up three leading states – California, Georgia, and New Hampshire – as powerful exemplars of the change we want to see.